Friday, May 1, 2009

cool new music...

So, here are a few of the newest releases that I've been enjoying:

Mastodon - Crack the Skye: If the name and title didn't give it away, this is metal. Probably some of the best metal I've heard in years. Sounds like a cross between Metallica and Pink Floyd. I'm not kidding. Heavy as [insert metaphor here]. Excellent music, no matter how you slice it. I'm sure there are much more 'metal' adjectives to use for this album, but I'll leave that to the fanboys.

Bat For Lashes - Two Suns: I'm a sucker for melancholy modern electronic pop sung by quirky girls. This has it all - great vocals, enigmatic (yet decipherable) lyrics, progressive song structures that still have insanely memorable hooks, and - of course - a girl with a halo holding two shining orbs on the cover. haha. Fans of Bjork, Tori Amos, Delirium, My Brightest Diamond, etc should check it out. Very well executed. (Wait, now that sounds metal...!)

Fever Ray - Fever Ray: I wasn't familiar with The Knife, the Swedish electronic duo who apparently is all the rage with the indie kids, but I listened to this CD and was drawn in. And the good thing is that it actually gets better with repeated listens. Sort of a minimalistic electronic sound with a female singer (she is one-half of The Knife) who at times seems to channel an African-chant vibe. Unique, and great as a soundscape background, but the songs still retain enough of a structure that you can sing along with the words. Not for everyone, I would say, but if you enjoy mellow computerized music that is a bit dark, I'd recommend it.

Coming soon: brand new releases from Mewithoutyou and Isis! 2009 is looking good so far!

No comments: