Thursday, April 9, 2009

My life (a brief update)...

Well, obviously I haven't posted anything in a couple weeks, and that's partially due to the fact that I've been sick with various allergy/sinus-related bugs that have left me disinterested in just about everything except sleeping and eating... I've got some medicine now, and hopefully I'm on the mend. But enough about that.

In other news, I have officially decided to defer the offer from Claremont's PhD program, due to funding issues. I just don't think it would be wise to take on a huge amount of debt, move to CA in the midst of a recession, and try to find/work a full-time job while taking PhD courses. I'm very grateful to CGU for accepting me, and I'm bummed about having to wait another year before pursuing further studies, but I believe this is the right choice. So, the next year will be spent doing a lot of reading, writing, and research on my own, some of which will hopefully prove beneficial in the future.

Aside from that, I'm working on my paper for the upcoming AAR conference, and trying to discern what the next year holds for me... lots to think about, but overall, I feel pretty good about where I am. My existential angst... well, that's another story. :-)

2 comments:

phil said...

Sounds like you've made the right decision. Sorry you'll have to wait another year, but it might be for the best, based on the reasons you stated.

On the brighter side, at least you'll get some more time to read what you're personally interested in before taking classes that don't necessarily having anything to do with your dissertation topic.

Kevin said...

You might be interested in this article about graduate schools in theology:
http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/?p=1374