Wednesday, April 9, 2008

new music I'm excited about...

So, haven't done this in a while... here are some new CDs I've been enjoying - and YES, I still buy CDs. I haven't gotten into the whole 'just download everything' phase yet. And, hopefully, if artists keep releasing cool packaging, I won't ever have to. But... the way the industry is going, it looks less and less likely. Anyway, here we go.

Punch Brothers - Punch (File Under: Experimental Bluegrass. Never was a big fan of Nickel Creek, but this new CD featuring former member Chris Thile is just phenomenal. It's like a classical composition for bluegrass instruments, and that doesn't even begin to capture the beauty and complexity of the music.)

Ministry - The Last Sucker (File Under: Industrial Metal. Al Jourgenson is one of the founding fathers of industrial rock, and this is the last official Ministry CD. It's been a long time since "Thieves" and "N.W.O.", and it's nice to see Ministry end on a good note... er... noise.)

Meshuggah - Obzen (File Under: Technical Death Metal. This band is just amazingly freaking heavy. And amazingly freaking talented. And in large doses, will probably damage your brain. Not for the faint of heart.)

Once - Music from the Motion Picture (File Under: Sad, Pretty Irish Indie Pop. Yeah, it's not brand new, and yeah, everybody and their brother loves the film and music now, but still... I can't get over how great these songs are. And sad. And pretty. I love me some melancholy.)

Next week... NEW PORTISHEAD!

No comments: